To ensure your security, the Rutgers University network utilizes a secure authentication mechanism known as WPA2-Enterprise and 802.1X. This security mechanism protects your username and password. In a wireless environment, it also protects your data with network encryption. To utilize this secure network, your network connection requires specific settings. Click "Install RUWireless_Secure" under Quick Links to the right or click here to automatically configure your device for RUWireless_Secure. After you are configured for RUWireless_Secure any time you are in range of a RUWireless access point you will automatically connect to RUWireless_Secure.
RUWireless_Secure is broadcasted on all of the RUWireless access points on all three Rutgers campuses. RUWireless_Secure is available in all student centers and dining halls, most libraries, dorms, and many academic and administrative buildings across the University.
Why use RUWireless_Secure?
- RUWireless_Secure utilizes a secure authentication mechanism known as WPA2-Enterprise and 802.1X which keeps your username and password safe when logging in.
- RUWireless_Secure protects your data that is sent over the wireless network. Even when using non SSL or https connections.
- The RUWireless_Secure supplicant stores your username and password so any time you are within range of a RUWireless access point you will automatically connect to RUWireless_Secure bypassing the login page.*
*If you change your password you will have to rerun the RUWireless_Secure installer and enter your new password.
How do I configure myself for RUWireless_Secure?
- Associate to the wireless network named: RUWireless
- After you have associated to RUWireless, a web browser will open
- On the RUWireless login page, click the "I have a NetID and password" button.
- Follow the on screen instructions.
- Enjoy using RUWireless_Secure knowing the data you transfer over the wireless network is now safe and secure.
For step-by-step instructions, follow the links below: